Guidelines for Communities Managing Local Wetlands and Peatlands – A Handbook
18th October 2021
Guidelines for Communities Managing Local Wetlands and Peatlands is a useful handbook for community groups to support engagement with local wetland and peatland. It is a living document, meaning that it is updated regularly and contains the most relevant information for community groups.
This guide is intended to support community groups and others looking to conserve and manage their local wetland and peatland heritage site. The guide contains information on:
- wetlands and peatlands in Ireland and their conservation status
- national and international policies to protect wetlands and peatlands
- the concept of wetlands and peatlands as natural capital and their role in providing benefits to people, i.e. ecosystem services
- restoring wetlands and peatlands and their ecosystem services where they have become degraded
- forming and maintaining a successful community environmental group
- access and recreation
- potential sources of funding
- using the information in these guidelines to support funding applications.
You can access the sections in the Guidelines most relevant to you and your community group, or read the document in full.